The 1,700 seat Michigan Theatre is the main stage at the Frauenthal Center for the Performing Arts built in 1927 by Master Theatre Architect C. Howard Crane of Detroit. Principal Edward D. Francis, FAIA, was retained in 1993 to develop a renovation Master Plan and completed rehabilitation in 1998.
The premier venue for the City of Muskegon, the Theatre has an intensive calendar of 250 event days per year. It serves as the home for a summer professional repertory theatre and the West Shore Symphony Orchestra.
Design strategies were recommended that improved operational efficiency, allowed for expanded programming and increased revenue ie: pit lift, new rigging and electro-acoustic systems, expanded patron lobby, increased restrooms and a jazz cafe.