University Preparatory Science & Math Elementary
Built in 1919 by the Detroit Board of Education. The building was designed in the Collegiate Gothic style. The former interior service/utility zone has been converted to an outdoor landscaped courtyard for student use. The interior was renovated to increase the size of the classrooms. The basement area was adapted for dining that allows student views of and access to the courtyard. The former food service area with cathedral ceiling has been adapted as a choir room and the former boy’s gym has been re-purposed as a “Black Box Theater”.